- About us
- Code of Conduct
- Google SoC
- Recent posts
- Security Workshops
Here is a brief introduction on Qebek, answering some questions.
We got a new milestone due:
An exploit taken from a public repository, run against the software, is detected and emulated.
To shorten things, basically all required points are hit with current svn.
So, given the time we just saved, some words about how it works.
I have finished almost all the coding stuff of Project #1, now you can try out the new PHoneyC with shellcode/heapspray detection here:
Please feel free to report any bug or suggestion on shellcode/heapspray detection to me.
Today I make a retrospection on my work on the Glastopf Web Honeypot during the Google Summer of Code Program. My goal was to push forward the development on a Honeypot for an attack vector in web security which is really underestimated in current discussions. The main objectives could be merged into one intention: Increasing our attractiveness and answering every request as close as possible to a real world system. This got achieved with the new PHP file parser and the dynamic Google dork list which we provide for the Google crawler.
Today I received a spam email from "Sicherheits-Center" ("security center") with subject "Vorsicht! Ihr Paypal-Konto wurde begrenzt!" ("Attention! Your paypal account has been restricted!"). Not only the subject but the whole message was in really bad German - I am sure everybody had the chance to delete similar spams and you know what they look like. The advertised link was already down and also already included in Google's "Safe Browsing" list of malicious URLs. But the message contained a piece of interesting information which I think is interesting.
Second milestone reached! Honeybrid has now all its functionalities working and it's time for testing. In order to check that everything works efficiently, I deployed a Windows honeypot to receive traffic from five /24 unused subnets during half an hour. Here are the details of this experiment.
Here is a overall diagram of the testing architecture:
The NATing gateway was configured with the following iptables rules:
I worked on the Front-End to make my interface more user-friendly, I don't detail every modifications, we can split them in three:
My code is under Honeynet Subversion so you can consult it if you're curious !
I also corrected a lot of bugs even if some of them are a bit persistent....
Since my last update, I've separated the visualizations by IP address, along with adding a few cosmetic additions (lines to the next event in the height different experiment), although there's still a little bit of work to separate that visualization into different IPs. I've also added camera controls, the basic WSAD at the moment, so that a user can scroll up, down, left, and right, depending on how many host machines there are, as well as how many events there are. There was also some work on the backend as well, to make the files a little easier to read, as well as adding more commen
Last week I had the honor of being interviewed by the sharp team at PaulDotCom, in which they quized me extensively about honeypots and honeypot technology. I have had the chance to work with John Strands of the team, who is one of the best penetration testers I know, he really knows his stuff and creates great demonstration hacking videos. If you have a chance, check it out, they are smart group of fun guys.
As the console spy is almost finished, the next stage is mainly for network activities. Sebek Win32 version uses TDI hook to get this done. However, since getting driver object in virtualization layer is hard and TDI is TDI is on the path to deprecation, I need to find another way. The best solution seems to be hooking NtDeviceIoControlFile, the API Windows uses to do network related stuff and has been widely mentioned in malware behavior analysis papers. After some days of searching, I encounter a very useful resources today, a master thesis from TTAnalyze team: